Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A Good Book

Hello, I'm Melissa and I'm a bookaholic.

Shelves of books line my home - novels, guidebooks, but most importantly cookbooks. My poor son's room even houses my overflow.

At one point, when I began writing my my own recipes, I thought I had a shot at curbing my addiction. So wrong was I. Nowadays, it isn't the books of my idols that I buy, but those of my friends. For example, one of my most recent purchases was of Monica Bhide's, Modern Spice. While I've never met Monica in person, I feel a kinship to her ever since she reached out to me on Facebook. Another of my virtual friends, Cheryl Sternman Rule, just scored a book contract. Judging from the quality of her blog, I know it will be a winner. Of course, I'll have to have it. Closer to home, my friend Terra Brockman is responsible for the beautiful prose in The Seasons on Henry's Farm and Anupy Singla will be educating us on Indian cuisine. I have the former and surely I'll buy the latter.

So tonight I'm thankful for books.

And my newest, favoritest book is the one written by someone with whom I have no connection: Pierre A LaMielle's kitchenscraps: a humourous illustrated cookbook. I discovered it after a friend linked to a blog post by the author: Wiener Schnitzel, by the hammer of Thor. A post on a food blog about Thor? How could I resist? I clicked on it and realized that the author just published a book. After exploring the site for a few minutes, I knew, just knew I needed this book. Having received it from Amazon (doing the happy dance when it arrived) and having now read it, not once, but twice. I highly recommend it. Great recipes, awesome illustrations, and laugh out loud funny headnotes, it's a great addition to any bookshelf, even my over stuffed one.

IMG_4388

A picture of schnitzel by the hammer of the little locavore.

2 comments:

  1. That dish looks wonderful! What a great picture too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so lovely, Melissa. I'm sorry I missed this post when you first put it up. I, for one, am thankful for Google Alerts!

    I hope you and your family enjoyed a wonderful Thanksgiving and are finding ways to remain sane during this busy month of December.

    I'm going to check the bookstore for kitchenscraps. Sounds like a unique and fun read.

    ReplyDelete

 
blog design by brooksiedesign