Sunday, August 22, 2010

Squash Fatigue: Simmered Yellow Squash

251

It's that time of the season when fatigue begins to set in at least with certain vegetables. Tomatoes, peppers and eggplants, I never tire of, but zucchini, yellow squash, and cucumbers, I'm nearing my end. Unforunately, my garden and CSA have other plans. Therefore, I'm pretty happy when I come up with a new recipe that pleases me, my husband, and Little Locathor.

Simmered Yellow Squash with Oregano, Tomato & Capers
Serves 4

2 small summer squash, sliced ¼-inch thick
2 cloves garlic minced
2 teaspoons unsalted butter
1 sprig oregano or basil
½ cup diced tomato
1 teaspoon capers
2 tablespoon toasted bread crumbs

Heat the butter in a small skillet. Add the butter and heat until melted. Stir in the squash. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes. Add oregano and diced tomato. Cover and simmer for an additional 15 minutes. Add drained capers, salt, and pepper to taste. Sprinkle bread crumbs on top. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
blog design by brooksiedesign