Friday, June 18, 2010

See Ya Spring: Chartreuse Pickled Asparagus

IMG_5959

It's time to bid farewell to spring. Rhubarb, stawberries, and asparagus are on their way out, blueberries, summer squash, and raspberry moving in their place. But before spring has vacated entirely, I'm going get some into my larder. I picked up two delicious looking pounds of asparagus in my first installment of Harvest Moon Farms CSA and I'll think that I'll make some more pickles.

I can't claim the idea for adding chartreuse to my brine - that came from Sepia, used as a garnish in a delicious Bloody Mary enjoyed on Mother's Day. However, since I don't have access to Andrew Zimmerman's recipe file, I had to come up with my own version, which will be a nice addition to our Father's Day Bloody Marys. Not a drink for Little Locathor, but it will make papa locavore rather happy.

Chartreuse Pickled Asparagus
1 quart

1/3 cup Chartreuse
1/3 cup white wine vinegar
3 1/3 cups white vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons kosher salt
2 sprigs tarragon
1 pound asparagus, trimmed to fit into the jar

Measure the first 5 ingredients into a saucepan. Heat until boiling and then simmer until the salt and sugar are dissolved. Sterilize the quart jar in boiling water for 10 minutes. While the jar is still hot, fit the asparagus stalks into it and add the tarragon. Pour over the pickling liquid and seal. Process in boiling water for 10 minutes. Let cool in a relatively dark place. Use after 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
blog design by brooksiedesign