Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Trash to Table Challenge: Oatmeal Pancakes

IMG_5806

Through Purple Asparagus, I encounter many different perspectives on how children should eat. I've met parents who consider Doritos and fruit punch to be a healthy snack. On the other end of the spectrum, I've come across members of the food police - like the woman who actually suggested that feeding a child cereal for breakfast was akin to child neglect.

It's probably pretty clear that I'm somewhere in the middle between these extremes. While I try to cook most of my families meal from scratch, I do take some shortcuts especially at breakfast time. While scrambled eggs, french toast, and yogurt with fresh fruit are part of the little locavore's AM rotation so is cereal and instant oatmeal.

Thor's a fan of Nature's Path brand instant oatmeal, which comes in individual packets. They're convenient and tasty but just a bit too big for his 6 year old stature. Most mornings he eats about 3/4 of a packet - too little to save, too much to throw out. In keeping with the Trash to Table challenge,I transformed his leftovers into delicious Oatmeal Pancakes that fed him well for two more days. Waste gone, two more breakfasts in the roation. Score!

All you parents out there, 'fess up. What shortcuts do you take? I promise, I won't tell and contrary to the food police, DCFS has knocked on my door yet, so I think you'll be safe.

Oatmeal Pancakes
Serves 2

1/3-1/2 cup cooked instant oatmeal
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
1/4-1/3 cup buttermilk
all-purpose flour to thicken

Mix all ingredients until they reach the consistency of pancake batter, soft and foldable. Cook in a non-stick saute pan with a pat of butter until lightly browned. Flip and repeat. Serve with maple syrup or jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
blog design by brooksiedesign