Saturday, January 2, 2010

Twelve Days: Gone Fishing

IMG_4810

One of the most popular appetizers for our New Years' Eve Odd Bits party was an almost entirely local Smoked Trout Mousse, which I adapted from one of my very favorite cookbooks, The New Basics. Sheila Lukins passed away this past August and so in her honor, I thought I'd share this wonderfully delicious recipe, which I adapted from the book that she co-authored with Julee Rosso.

Smoked Trout Mousse

4 scallions, trimmed of their hair and about 2 inches of the green ribbons
1 cup ricotta cheese, drained (I used homemade, soon to be the subject of another post)
2 1/2 tablespoons prepared horseradish, drained
1/4 cup sour cream
1 cup coarsley flaked smoked trout
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
juice from 1/2 lemon

Finely mince the scallions in a food processor. Add the ricotta cheese, sour cream, and horseradish and puree until smooth. Remove to a medium bowl and fold in trout, dill, lemon juice, kosher salt, and fresly ground pepper to taste. Chill for 4 hours or overnight. Serve with cucumbers, baguette toasts, or crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
blog design by brooksiedesign